United States
               Environmental Protection
                                   Solid Waste and
                                   Emergency Response
Spring 1994
                    A Solid Waste Resource Guide
                    for Native Americans
                    Where to Find Funding
                    and Technical Assistance

Introduction	.	

                  Indian people today are facing complex issues surrounding the protection of
                  their environment. One of the most pressing is sound solid waste management,
                  compromised for years by the  lack of resources, technical expertise, and
                  conflicting priorities.

                  This brochure was designed especially for you. It identifies potential sources of
                  Federal financial and technical assistance for safely managing solid waste,
implementing the requirements of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), and
enhancing Tribal capability. It describes resources available to Tribes from the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA), the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), the Indian Health Service (IMS), the
Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the Administration for Native Americans
(ANA), the Farmers Home Administration (FHA),  and the Department of Energy (DOE) and whom
to contact for more information about obtaining these resources.

We hope that this information will help you in clearing a path through the maze of Federal
assistance programs.

 Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
                         EPA may provide technical and financial assistance for solid waste
                         such as:
management activities
                         o  Developing Tribal environmental codes;
                         o  Developing Tribal environmental programs;
                         o  Developing solid waste management plans;
                         o  Designing solid waste systems, including disposal, collection, and recycling activities-
                         O  Enhancing  Tribal capability through training.


Technical Assistance

 Training. EPA offers a wide range of training courses around the country on solid waste management. A consolidated list of
 training courses offered by EPA's Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response (OSWER) is contained in Volume 1 of The
 OSWER Source Book (EPA/542/B-92A-005), September 1992, which can be obtained from NTIS at 1-800-553-6847 (PB 93-
 143980). In addition, EPA's Technology Innovation Office (TIO) publishes a Quarterly OSWER Training Calendar. These
 resources can be obtained by contacting the EPA, Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response, Technology Innovation
 Office (OS-110), 401 M Street, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20460. For information on Regionally sponsored courses, contact
 your Regional Solid Waste Coordinator or Regional Indian Coordinator.


                     EPA Regional Solid Waste Coordinators
                     Region 1: Boston, MA—Cynthia Green	(617) 223-5531
                     Region 2: New York, NY—Lorraine Graves	(212) 264-9638
                     Region 4: Atlanta, GA—Pat Zweig	(404) 347-2091
                     Region 5: Chicago, IL—Andy Tschampa	(312) 886-0976
                     Region 6: Dallas, TX—Becky Weber	(214) 655-6760
                    Region 7: Kansas City, KS—Chet Mclaughlin	(913) 551-7666
                    Region 8: Denver, CO—David Schaller	(303) 293-1660
Region 9: San Francisco, CA—Jeff Scott	(415) 744-2091
Region 10: Seattle, WA—Lauris Davies	(206) 553-2857

EPA Regional Indian Coordinators
Region 1: Boston, MA—Anne Fenn	(617) 565-3927
Region 2: New York, NY—Christine Yost	(212) 264-6722
Region 4: Atlanta, GA—Arthur Union	(404) 881-3776
Region 5: Chicago, IL—Casey Ambutas	(312) 353-1394
Region 6: Dallas, TX—Ernest Woods	(214) 655-7454
Region 7: Kansas City, KS—Craig Bernstein	(913) 551-7688
Region 8: Denver, CO—Chris Lehnertz	(303) 294-1115
Region 9: San Francisco, CA—Roccena Lawatch	(415) 744-1602
Region 10: Seattle, WA—Steven Roy	(206) 553-2118

EPA Headquarters
National Indian Program Coordinator—Martin Topper	(202) 260-5051
Office of Solid Waste Indian Programs Manager—Judi Kane	(703) 308-8644

 The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA)
                           BIA is within the Department of the Interior. BIA aids Tribes by:
                              Ensuring that all Tribal solid waste management activities meet all applicable environ-
                              mental requirements;

                              Planning and reviewing solid waste projects;
                              Assisting with cleanup projects; and
                              Lending equipment and operators.

Short-Term Equipment Loans. BIA may lend earth-moving equipment and operator personnel to Indian Tribes for solid
waste management projects. The Tribal Chairperson should write a formal request for an equipment loan to the Regional
Field Office Director.

Indian Revolving Loan Fund and Indian Loan Guaranty Fund. These funds are available to Tribes or Tribal members
who operate a for-profit venture related to solid waste management Tribal members should contact their Regional Area BIA
Credit Office for specific details.

Technical Assistance
Expert Advice. BIA provides technical advice on siting and maintaining solid waste facilities, including staffing and
equipment, as well as the sources and availability of funds from other agencies. Requests for advice should be made in writing
by the Tribal Chairperson to the Regional Area BIA Field Office, Natural Resource Division.

NEPA Compliance Advice. BIA can determine the type of documentation and studies that are necessary to comply with the
requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). BIA is the lead agency for scoping and reviewing Environ-
mental Impact Statements (EISs) for solid waste management projects on Indian lands. Call the Regional BIA Field Office,
Natural Resource Division, for compliance advice.

                     BIA Headquarters at (202) 208-4791, or one of the Area Field Offices:
                     Aberdeen, SD—Jerry Jaeger	(605)226-7343
                     Albuquerque, NM—Sidney Mills	(505) 766-3170
                     Anadarko, OK—L.  Bill Collier	(405)247-6673
                     Billings, MN—Richard Whitesell	(406) 657-6315
                     Gallop, NM (Navajo)—Wilson Barber	(505) 863-8314
                     Juneau, AK—Niles Cesar	(907)586-7177
                     Minneapolis, MN—Earl Barlow	(612) 349-3631
Muskogee, OK—Merrit Youngdeer	(918)687-2296
Phoenix, XL—Walter Mills	(602)379-6600
Portland, OR—Stanley Speaks	(503)231-6702
Sacramento, CA—Ronald Jaeger	(916)484-4682
Washington, D.C.—Billie D.  Ott	(703) 235-2571

The Indian  Health Service (IMS)
                            The Indian Health Service (fflS) is within the Public Health Service (PHS), Department of
                            Health and Human Services (DHHS). Activities conducted by fflS to assist American Indians
                            and Alaska Natives with solid waste management include:

                            o  Surveying solid waste management needs;
                            o  Developing solid waste management plans;
                            O  Designing solid waste collection and disposal facilities;
                            o  Funding solid waste collection and disposal facilities;
                            O  Assisting in identifying and obtaining funds from other sources;
                            o  Training and technical assistance in operation of solid waste management programs; and
                            o  Surveying solid waste disposal sites.
 Cooperative Agreements. fflS funding for solid waste management projects is provided under Public Law 86-121 through
 coopZtive agreLents with Tribes or Communities. Project priority lists are established for all sanitation facility needs
 (water, sewerfand solid waste) and available funds are used to fund the top priority projects Sanction facUittes construct™
 funds Uy be used for (1) engineering studies, (2) design, (3) development of solid waste disposal sues, (4) eqmpmen(for
 collection, storage, and disposal), (5) initial community educational programs and worker 
 Technical Assistance
 Expert Advice. The IHS implements a comprehensive environmental health program for American Indians and Alaska
 Natives. The IHS may carry out the program directly with Area and Field office environmental health professionals or (he
 Tribe may take responsibility for program implementation under the Indian Self-Determination Act with IHS assistance.
 Technical assistance relative to solid waste management may include: (1) surveys of solid waste disposal sites, (2) assistance
 with development of Tribal codes and ordinances, (3) assistance with development and/or review of management plans, (4)
 assistance with community education campaigns, (5) training of solid waste program managers and other workers, (6)
 assistance with identifying funding sources, and (7) assistance with evaluating and identifying solutions for operational

 Assistance is obtained through the fflS Area or Field offices; availability of assistance is determined based on current
 workload and priorities established for the total environmental health program.

                     Aberdeen SD—Terry Hausken	(605) 226-7451
                     Anchorage, AK—James Crum	(907) 271-4700
                     Albuquerque, MM—Richie Grimell	(505) 766-2139
                     Bemidji, MN—Douglas Jackson (acting)	(218) 759-3393
                     Billings, MT—George Allen	(406) 657-6451
                     Nashville, TN—Keith Enders	(615)736-2390
                     Oklahoma City, OK—Randy Grimell	(405) 945-6800
                     Portland, OR—Tim Webster	(503) 326-2001
                     Sacramento, CA—Edwin Fluette	(916) 978-4202
Phoenix, AZ—Alan Croft	(602)640-2038
Tucson, AZ—Rod Gardner	(602) 295-2580
Window Rock, AZ—Charles Dowell	(602) 871-5851

The Department of Housing and Urban  Development (HUD)
                         HUD, through its Office of Native American Programs, provides assistance for the following

                         O  Planning sanitation activities, including water, sewage, and solid waste.
Community Development BlOCk Grants (CDBG). Solid waste projects can receive limited funding through these grants
and are only one of many needs that can be addressed by CDBG funds. Funding is normally made available on an annual
basis through a competitive process. Each year, HUD publishes a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) describing the
factors that will be used to evaluate applications. For FY 1993, a NOFA was published in the Federal Register on August 26,
1993. Applications were submitted by November 9, 1993 to the Office of Indian Programs. Tribal Chairpersons should
contact one of six HUD Offices of Native American Programs for more information on these grants. The HUD Headquarters
office responsible for overseeing this program can be reached at (202) 708-1015.

Indian Housing Program Funds. Funds are available through the Office of Public and Indian Housing to properly establish
Indian Housing Authorities (IHAs) for home design and construction as well as off-site sanitation facilities such as water,
sewage, and solid waste. Each Tribe's IHA is responsible for applying for funds and developing and operating these housing
projects. HUD furnishes technical and financial assistance for planning, developing, and managing these projects. IHAs
should submit applications to the HUD Regional Indian Field Office. For further information on the Indian Housing Program
Funds, contact HUD Headquarters at (202) 708-1015.

Indian HOME Program. HOME funds may be used by an Indian Tribe to provide incentives to develop and support afford-
able rental housing and homeownership affordability through the acquisition, new construction, reconstruction, or moderate
or substantial rehabilitation of non-luxury housing; to provide tenant-based rental assistance; and to pay administrative costs.
Site improvements must be in keeping with improvements of surrounding, standard projects. Site improvements include
roads, streets, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, and connections to utilities, such as storm and sanitary sewers, water supply, gas, and

Technical Assistance
Sewer and Sanitary Advice. HUD's Regional Offices furnish technical advice for all aspects of projects for which they are

HUD  Offices of Native American Programs
Anchorage, AK—Martin Knight	(907) 271-4633
Chicago, H^-Leon Jacobs	(312)886-4532
Denver,  CO—Vernon Haragara	(303) 672-5467
Oklahoma City, OK—Hugh Johnson	(404)231-4101
Phoenix, AZ—Ralph Mecham	(602) 379-4156
Seattle, WA—Jerry Leslie	(206)220-5270

The Administration for Native Americans (ANA)
                          ANA is a division of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. ANA promotes the
                          goal of social and economic self-sufficiency of American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native
                          Hawaiians, and other Native American Pacific Islanders, including Native Samoans. ANA
                          provides competitive grants, training, technical assistance, and interagency agreements to
                          support policies that encourage locally determined social and economic development strate-
                          gies. At the same time, this assistance strengthens the effectiveness of tribal governance and
                          organizational management.
Social and Economic Development Strategies (SEDS). The ANA approach to promoting self-sufficiency and enhanc-
ing self-government is largely implemented through grants that support social and economic development strategies (SEDS).
These are competitive financial assistance grants in support of locally determined and designed projects that address commu-
nity needs and goals. Under its SEDS grant program, ANA may fund environmental projects, including those relating to solid
waste management, as long as the project clearly demonstrates the relationship of addressing environmental problems to the
applicant's overall social and/or economic development strategy.

Examples of environmental SEDS projects include:

o  Development of environmental codes and training programs;
O  Development of water quality management and treatment programs; and
o  Development of solid waste management plans.

Improving the Capability of Indian Tribal Governments to Regulate Environmental Quality. Funds under this grant
program are available to advance Tribal capacity and capability to plan for, develop, and implement improvements to Tribal
environmental regulatory infrastructures necessary to support a Tribal environmental program and to regulate and enforce
environmental activities on Indian lands. Projects are judged competitively by a peer review panel, which reviews applications
according to written criteria.

Application Kits
For an ANA grant application kit, write to: Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and
Families, Administration for Native Americans, Room 348F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D C 20201 or
call 202-690-7730.

                    Sharon McCully	(202)690-5780

Farmers Home Administration (FHA)
                           The Farmers Home Administration (FHA) is authorized to provide financial assistance for
                           water and waste disposal facilities in rural areas and towns of up to 10,000 people.

                           Loans and Grants
                           Water and Waste Disposal Loans and Grants. Public entities such as municipalities,
                           counties, special purpose districts, Indian Tribes, and corporations not operated for profit are
                           eligible for FHA loans and grants. Priority will be given to public entities with populations of
                           less than 5,500 people to restore a deteriorating water supply, or to improve, enlarge, or
                           modify a water facility or an inadequate waste facility. Preference will also be given to
                           requests that involve merging small facilities and those serving low-income communities.
Loan and grant funds may be used to:

o Construct, repair, improve, expand, or otherwise modify rural water supply and distribution facilities.
o Acquire a water supply or a water right.
o Construct, repair, improve, expand, or otherwise modify waste collection, pumping, treatment, or other disposal facilities.
   Facilities to be financed may include sewer Unes, treatment plants, storm sewer facilities, sanitary landfills, incinerators,
   and necessary equipment.

To find the phone number for your disttict office, call:

Department of Energy (DOE)
                          DOE's Office of Civilian Radioactive Waste Management supports information exchange
                          related to civilian radioactive waste activities between DOE and Indian Tribes.

                          Financial Assistance
                          DOE's Office of Civilian Radioactive Waste Management keeps Tribes informed of civilian
                          radioactive waste issues and activities through a Cooperative Agreement with the National
                          Congress of American Indians (NCAI). NCAI holds meetings, prepares newsletters, and
                          conducts research related to civilian radioactive waste, which is high-level waste from nuclear
                          power plants. Travel funds for Tribal leaders wishing to attend civilian radioactive waste-
                          related meetings are available on a limited basis from NCAI.
                    Robert Holden, Cooperative Agreement Project Manager, NCAI	(202) 546-9494
                    Vicki Thornton	(202)586-5499

Additional Resources
We have listed the key Federal agencies involved in environmental activities on Indian lands. You may also want to contact
the following for information on additional sources of funds:

Department of Labor	'.	(202)535-8691
(Offices on the Job Partnership Act Grants)

Small Business Administration	1-800-827-5722
(Minority management and technical assistance for business)

State environmental departments also may have information on funding and technical assistance.