United States
          Environmental Protection
January 1991
          Small And Disadvantged Business Utilization (A-149C)
v°/EPA   Regulatory
          Assistance for
          Small Business
          and Others
          The EPA Small Business and
          Asbestos Ombudsman
          Small Business Hotline
          1(800) 368-5888, or in D.C.
          and Virginia (703) 557-1938

One-Stop Relief:
EPA’s Small Business and
Asbestos Ombudsman
The Asbestos and Small Business Ombudsman will
make sure that your problems and suggestions are
heard and you are fairly treated. The Ombudsman:
cjgrves .yo’ easier access to the Agency;
¶ l l sSvoi1 comply with EPA ’s regulations;
ö inve tigaJps and resolves your problems and
disputes wjrh the Agency; and
q incréa’seIEPA’s responsivesness and sensitivity
tb your neffiis.
t ‘, S
4 jPro’ ideror gets, answers to technical questions
The O ibudsman closely follows the development
a d status of EPA’s policies and regulations
aqecting small businesses, solicits your ideas on
hqw to improve them, and makes sure that your
i&êas are carefully considered.
You can save time and money (and much
frustration) by calling the Ombudsman.
Call Toll Free
(800) 368-5888
(703) 557-1938)
Fax-4703) 557-1462
A member of the Ombudsman’s staff will answer
between 8.30 a.m and 4:30 p m. EDT.
Message-recording devices for calls during
non-business hours and overload periods are
You may also write the Asbestos and ‘Small
Business Ombudsman at the U S Environmental
Protection Agency, (A-149C), 401 M Street, S.W.,
Washington, DC 20460, or visit the Ombudsman
when in the Nation’s Capitol. Note above Fax
if you’re a small businessman, the Environmental
Protection Agency knows you don’t have time to
be president, general manager, shipping agent,
advertising executive, chief bookkeeper, plant
mechanic, and truck repairman, while discovering,
interpreting, and meeting environmental

Yet the law requires you to comply and assumes
you know what to do. You want to do what’s right,
but you don’t have a staff of engineers or other
technicians, nor hundreds of hours to spend on air
or water pollution or on waste problems.
What’s “right” for the large companies of this
world is often “not right”—and—shouldn’t be
right—for you. This pamphlet shows what we’re
doing to bridge this gap.
The Office of the Ombudsman keeps up to date on
all environmental matters of concern to small
business. To achieve this, a network of
Ombudsman Liaisons is active in each of the
components of EPA. Through this network, the
entire array of diversified technical expertise
within the Agency contributes to the
Ombudsman’s response to specific inquiries from
small business. The Ombudsman maintains
alertness to small business concerns through
hotline inquiries and through close contact with
small business “umbrella” organizations,
industry-specific trade associations, and relevant
governmental entities. Additionally, assistance is
provided through development and distribution of
publications and audiovisual materials, as well as
participation in small business seminars,
workshops, and conventions.
Asbestos Technical and Regulatory
Information concerning asbestos abatement
problems is available also through toll-free calls to
(800) 368-5888, or in DC arid VA (703) 557-1938
The questions answered covers those about the
Asbestos Emergency Response Act of (AHERA) of
1986, and other questions requiring technical
response within EPA.
Pollution Control Financing
A compilation of information covering Assistance
Pro&ams for Pollution Control Financing at
Federal, state, and local levels is available on
request from the EPA Small Business Ombudsman.
This information identifies and describes in detail
possible sources of financing. One source is th
Poliution Control Financing Gudiantee program
of the Small Business Administration (SEA),
specially designed to help small business firms

secure commercial bank loans for pollution
control needs. For information on this program
call (202) 205-6570 or write to: Pollution
Control Financing Staff, Small Business
Administration, 409 3rd Street, 8th Floor, S.W.,
Washington, DC ‘20416.
Other Available Assistance
FSCA-Toxic Substances
To help businesses comply with the Toxic
Substances Control Act (TSCA), a variety of
services are provided, including:
• seminars, publications, audiovisual materials;
• advice on premanufacturer notifications; and
• regulatory aid through a small-chemical
company liaison based in Washington, DC ’.
The TSCA Assistance Office teiphone number is
(202) 554-1404. You may also write to the TSCA
Assistance Office, Off’ce of Toxic Substances,
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ‘(TS-799)
401 M Street, S.W., Washington, DC 211460.
RCRA and CERCLA (or Superfund) Solid and
Hazardous Waste
Toll-free telephone service is available for
information on the Resource Conservation and
Recovery Act (RCRA) and the Comprehensive
Environmental Response. Compensation, and
Liability Act (CERCLA) better known as
Superfund. RCRA authonzes the Agency to
regulate hazardous wastes. CERCLA, or Superfund,
establishes an emergency response mechanism for
hazardous substances that may threaten human
health and the environment. For related assistance,
call (800) 424-9346 (in Va. 703-920-9810).
National Pesticide Teleconununication
The National Pesticide Telecommunication
Network Hotline provides medical personnel and
others with help in coping with pesticide
poisonings, and also provides pesticide products
information. The toll-free number i&(800)858-7378:
in Texas call (806) 743-3091.

Chemical Emergency Preparedness,
Emergency Planning, and
Community Right-to-Know
This Hotline provides response to questions,
literature, and other assistance concerning
community preparedness for coping with
chemical accidents, as well as information
covering the Community Right-to-Know
component and the toxic chemical inventory
release reporting requirements of the Superfund
Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA).
The toll-free number is (800) 535-0202; in the
District of Columbia and Alaska call (2021
479-2449. This Hotline is an information resource
service, not an emergency response number.
Nalional Response Center
The National Response Center for Oil and
Hazardous Chemical Spills is operated by the
United States Coast Guard. The center should be
contacted for initiating emergency mobilization of
resources for coping with spillage and accidental
chemical releases. The toll-free number is
(8001 424-8802; in the District of Columbia call
(202) 426-2675.
Safe Drinking Water
The Hotline (800) 426-4791 (in DC (202) 382-5533)
provides information on the Safe Drinking Water
Act (SDWA), policy, technical and regulatory
EPA Opportunities for Small Business
The Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business
Utilization (OSDBU) makes sure that a fair
proportion of business opportunities resulting from
EPA’s direct procurement and grant activity go to
small business, disadvantaged firms, women’s
business enterprises, and firms located in labor
surplus areas. For information concerning these
opportunities, you may call (703) 557-7777, or write
to OSUBU, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,
(A-149C), 401 M Street, S.W., Washington, DC

United States
Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Small and
Disadvantaged Business Utilization (A-i 49C}
401 M Street. S W
Washington DC 20460
Official Business
Penalty for Private Use $300