To Learn More

 To find out more about the storm water permit
 program, or to get copies of the Construction
 General Permit, the Notice of Intent application
 form, or other related guidance materials, check out
 the following EPA's websites:

 Contact EPA:
    Jeanne O'Dell
    Region 10 Storm Water Program
    (800) 424-4372, extension 6919

 For information on tribal requirements for the
 following areas, contact:
    Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla  Indian
    Water Resources Program &/or Tribal Historic
    Preservation Office
    P.O. Box 638
    Pendleton, OR 97801
    (541) 966-2420

    Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs
    Natural Resources Department, Water Control
    P.O. Box C
    Warm Springs, Oregon 97761
    Chris Gannon - (541) 553-2020
    General Number - (541)  553-2001

    Chehalis Tribe
    Department of Natural Resources
    420 Howanut Road
    Oakville, WA 98568
    Raman Iyer - (360) 273-5911

    Puyallup Tribe
    Department of Natural Resources
    1850 Alexander Avenue
    Tacoma WA 98421

 Other information resources

    International Erosion Control Association:

 Note:  Website addresses listed are case sensitive.
                                        August 2003
Notice: The statements in this document are intended solely as
guidance to aid regulated entities in complying with the Clean Water
Act's storm water requirements. The guidance is not a substitute for
reading the Clean Water Act and its implementing regulations and
understanding all its requirements as they apply to your facility. This
guidance does not constitute rulemaking by the EPA and may not be
relied on to create a substantive or procedural right or benefit
enforceable, at law or in equity, by any person. EPA may decide to
update this guide without public notice to reflect changes in EPA's
approach to implementing the Clean Water Act. This document
reflects information available in EPA's NPDES General Permit for
Storm Water Discharges from Large and Small Construction
     United States
     Environmental Protection
Region 10
1200 Sixth Avenue
Seattle WA 98101-1128
     Projects in Indian
     Country  Need
     Erosion and
     Sediment  Controls
     The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
     has issued a general permit containing
     requirements for construction activities in Indian
     Country for sites where runoff may enter nearby
     surface water.

     If you are planning a construction project that will
     disturb more than one acre of land, you are
     required to have permit coverage.  You should
     also have erosion and sediment controls in place
     for runoff from your site before construction

     The information in this brochure summarizes your
     responsibilities for permit coverage and for
     erosion and sediment controls,  as required under
     the federal Clean Water Act to limit water
     pollution from construction sites.
 Erosion and sediment control practices are only
  as good as their installation and maintenance.

Tips for Managing Storm Water

Protect Natural Features and Minimize Erosion

 Minimize clearing and amount of exposed soil.
 Leave more vegetation  in place and only disturb the
  smallest area of land possible.
 Protect streams, wild woodland, and wetlands from
  construction activity by fencing the areas. Divert
  runon/runoff away from exposed areas.
 Use slope breaks, temporary lined diversion ditches
  or retention structures to slow runoff.
                                                                                                   Covering dirt piles reduces storm water runoff velocity.
                                                               Terracing can be used to slow runoff. Lined diversion ditches direct
                                                               flow away from exposed areas toward stable portions of the site.
                                    Construction Phasing

                                     Sequence construction activities to minimize the
                                      amount of time soils remain disturbed.
                                     Install sediment controls before grading begins.
                                     Schedule or limit grading to small areas.
                                     Schedule construction so that large areas of bare soil
                                      are exposed only during the dry season.
                                     Use temporary mulching, seeding or other ground
                                      coverings on exposed areas, including all dirt
                                     Stabilize the area immediately after the land has
                                      been graded to its final contour.
                                                              Exposed soils are very vulnerable to erosion. Mulch or other
                                                              ground cover protects surfaces from wind and storm water
                                                              erosion, as well as allowing vegetative growth.

                                                              Silt Fencing

                                                               Bury the bottom of the silt fence in the ground.
                                                               Use stakes to support the back of the silt fence.
                                                               Silt fences or other sediment traps should
                                                                capture sediment near its source.
                                                               Inspect and maintain the fence after each
                                                               Don't place the silt fence in the middle of a
                                                                waterway or use them as check dams.
                                                               Make sure storm water is not flowing around or
                                                                under the silt fence.
                                                                                                  Silt fences prevent the off site transport of sediment at
                                                                                                  construction sites.
                                                               In phased construction, completed portions are permanently
                                                               stabilized before other areas are disturbed.

More Tips for

Managing  Storm Water

Controlling Pollution

 Maintain a clean and orderly construction site to
  prevent storm water contamination from:
  - hazardous materials
  - cement/concrete truck washout
  - oil spills
  - waste and debris

Construction Entrances

 Install measures to remove dirt from tires of vehicles
  before they enter a paved roadway.
 Keep entrances from becoming buried in soil.
 Stabilize entrances and exits with rock or other
Stabilized construction entrances allow dirt to be removed from tire
treads as trucks leave construction sites.
The Construction General Permit (CGP)

The Clean Water Act requires operators of construction
sites to obtain permit coverage to discharge storm
water to a water body or to a municipal storm sewer.
EPA has issued a general permit for storm water
discharges from construction sites, which covers sites
in Indian Country.

If a construction project  disturbs more than one acre of
land  (or is part of a larger common development that
will disturb more than one acre), the operator is
required to apply for permit coverage from EPA after
developing a site-specific Storm Water Pollution
Prevention Plan.

For more information, please call Jeanne O'Dell at
206-553-6919 or toll free at 1-800-424-4372,  extension
EPA's Inspection Plans in Indian

As part of our effort to restore and maintain the
quality of the nation's lakes, rivers, and streams,
EPA is increasing its inspections at construction

If a site is found to be out of compliance with the
permit or the Clean Water Act, EPA has a range
of formal and  informal responses, including:
warning letters; compliance orders; and penalties.

Penalties for not complying with the permit
requirements  are determined on a case-by-case
basis and can range from $2,000 to $27,500 per
day for each violation.  Criminal prosecution is
also  an option if operators are caught knowingly
violating the Clean Water Act.
Improper management and disposal of wastes can result in
polluted storm water discharges.

Construction Activities That May Need
a Storm Water Permit

 Clearing & grubbing, except silviculture
 Excavation and filling
 Road and bridge building and installation of
  other infrastructure

Sediment is Usually the Main Pollutant
of Concern in Storm Water from
Construction Sites

Too much sediment  in  the water can destroy
aquatic habitat; interfere with fish rearing, feeding,
migration and spawning; interfere with
recreational uses;  and  threaten drinking water
supplies. Along with sediment,  eroding soils also
release nutrients which act  as pollutants once
they enter waterways, causing algae blooms and
low oxygen levels.
These pollutants affect water quality and can be
harmful to humans, fish and wildlife habitat.  For this
reason, the federal Clean Water Act requires
construction operators to have erosion and sediment
controls in place before discharging storm water from
construction sites and to get a storm water permit.
Adequate pollution controls must be in place to prevent
storm water runoff from moving soil and other
pollutants into a nearby water body.
Lined sediment basins are used to collect runoff from disturbed areas
on construction sites and allow heavier solids to settle out.

Other Common Pollutants in Construction
Site Runoff

Construction materials and wastes can also release
pollutants, especially metals and organic chemicals.
Many of these are toxic to aquatic organisms and other
life. These toxins include:
 Solid and sanitary wastes
 Oil and grease (from fuel containers and equipment)
 Phosphorus and nitrogen (from soil and artificial
 High pH (from concrete truck washout)
 Metals  (from pipe shavings, solder, etc.)
 Construction chemicals and debris (from poor

Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan

EPA's permit  requires operators to develop a site-
specific Storm Water Pollution  Prevention Plan
(SWPPP). As a condition of permit coverage, the
operator must document the erosion, sediment and
pollution controls they intend to use, inspect those
controls periodically, and maintain the best
management  practices (BMPs) through the life of the
project. Operators  must also update the plan as site
conditions change,  and keep a copy of the plan on-site.

There are many cost effective ways to prevent soil
erosion and manage storm water runoff.  Operators
may use the most appropriate techniques for the site to
protect water  quality.
 An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of
    cure! It's far more efficient and cost-
 effective to prevent pollution than it is to try
   to correct problems later.  Installing and
   maintaining simple BMPs and pollution
   prevention techniques on site can greatly
     reduce the potential for storm water
   pollution and can also save you money!
Constructed wetlands can be an effective - and attractive -
post-construction storm water control.

Other Related Requirements

All construction projects must adhere to local
requirements.  Ordinances to protect water quality
through mandatory erosion and sediment controls
or design specifications for final structures have
been adopted by many tribal governments.
Check with the local building and environmental
departments to obtain necessary local approvals
ahead of time.

Historic Properties and Endangered Species
Operators must also comply with all applicable
Tribal laws concerning the protection of historic
properties or endangered species.

Storm Water Plan Review Requirements
EPA's Construction General Permit contains
specific SWPPP review and other requirements
for the Chehalis, Puyallup, Umatilla and Warm
Springs Reservations.  For more details, refer to
Part 9 of the CGP, and contact the particular tribal
office for more detailed information.