Water Utility Emergency Field Guide:
Kentucky - Emergency Management Area 3
When you need help:
You are not alone during an emergency!
Help is available through local, county, state, and non-
governmental organizations.
Request assistance from your local resources first (police, fire, health, local Emergency
Operations Center or EOC, and existing mutual aid and assistance partners - if applicable).
Contact your County Emergency Management (EM) office or EOC for additional assistance
(see numbers on next page) if needed AND be prepared with:
a)	Your utility's name, address, and contact information.
b)	The address where the resource is needed, and Global Positioning System or GPS
coordinates if you have them.
A description of the emergency and magnitude (what happened, how large is the affected
area, how many people will be affected).
What you need (kind and type of resource, such as a Type IV generator: a trailer-mounted,
400 KW, sound attenuated, multi-voltage panel, 3-phase generator). Resource typing, or
categorizing and describing resources, is vital during an emergency. Be sure to fully
describe the function and specific capabilities of the requested resources to avoid confusion.
When you need the resource by (how urgent is it) and how long you will need it for.
If you need a qualified operator for the requested equipment.
Don't forget to ask for an anticipated delivery date, time, and a point of contact, if available.
Your County EM or EOC will follow up with you, but you can check back if necessary. There
may not be a formal tracking number assigned to your resource request at the County level.
If your County EOC is not activated, the County EM coordinator should still be able to help
you. If you are unable to reach the coordinator, contact the State EOC at (502) 607-1637 or
(800) 255-2587 for 24/7 assistance. The State EOC can coordinate your resource request with
the County EM or EOC.
Utilize mutual aid and assistance agreements such as the Kentucky Water/Wastewater Agency
Response Network (www.kywarn.org) to request resources from other utilities.
Keep in Mind:
If the County cannot fulfill your resource request, they will look to neighboring counties.
If the neighboring counties cannot fulfill your resource request, your County will forward it to
your area's Emergency Management Coordinator, and to the State EOC. All will try to locate
the resource within Kentucky.
If the State EOC cannot fulfil l your resource request, they may use their Emergency Manage-
ment Assistance Compact (EMAC) coordinator to access resources in other states.
The State EOC may also contact the federal government for assistance through FEM A. This
can be a lengthy process (at least 3 days), so don't wait too long to ask for help.
Not all assistance will be free-of-charge. You may be responsible for some or all of the costs.
The best way to make sure you get what you need is to have pre-disaster contracts and mutual
aid and assistance agreements. If you wait until after the disaster to plan, it may be too late.
July 2008

Who To Call
State EOC 24/7
or 800-255-2587
Kentucky Department of Environmental
Protection (24/7 numbers)
Environmental Emergency
(including water and wastewater)
800-928-2380 or 502-564-2380
Technical and Regulatory Assistance
EM Area 3 Phone Numbers*:
Daviess County
212 Saint Ann St.
Suite 205 Courthouse
270-685-8448 - 24/7
Hancock County
655 Hawes Blvd.
270-927-8200 - After hours
McLean County
190 Main St.
270-273-5213 - After hours
Ohio County
301 South Main St., Suite 101
270-298-4411 - After hours
Webster County
141 Stegal St.
270-639-5012 - After hours
Henderson County
9290 Barrett Ct.
270-827-8700 - After hours
Union County
212 Airline Rd.
270-389-4357 - After hours
* Phone numbers can change, so be sure to check contact information on a regular basis.
Mutual aid and assistance is available on a voluntary basis from other utilities through membership
in the Kentucky Water/Wastewater Agency Response Network (WARN) System. The KY WARN
website is available at www.kvwarn.org.
Other organizations that can help you locate resources in the event of an emergency are:
	Kentucky Rural Water Association: 270-843-2291
	Kentucky American Water Works Association: 502-550-2992
	Kentucky Water and Wastewater Operators'Association: 502-226-8149
	Kentucky Rural Community Assistance Partnership: 502-875-5863 or 800-456-3452
July 2008