Water Utility Emergency Field Guide:

South Carolina - Emergency Management Division (EMD) Area 3

When you need help:

You are not alone during an emergency!

Help is available through local, county, state, and non-
governmental organizations.

Request assistance from your local resources first (police, fire, health, local Emergency
Operations Center or EOC, and existing mutual aid and assistance partners - if applicable).
Contact your County Emergency Management (EM) office or EOC for additional assistance
(see numbers on next page) if needed AND be prepared with:

a)	Your utility's name, address, and contact information.

b)	The address where the resource is needed, and Global Positioning System or GPS
coordinates if you have them.

c)	A description of the emergency and magnitude (what happened, how large is the affected
area, how many people will be affected).

d)	What you need (kind and type of resource, such as a Type IV generator: a trailer-mounted,
400 KW, sound attenuated, multi-voltage panel, 3-phase generator). Resource typing, or
categorizing and describing resources, is vital during an emergency. Be sure to fully
describe the function and specific capabilities of the requested resources to avoid confusion.

e)	When you need the resource by (how urgent is it) and how long you will need it for.

f)	If you need a qualified operator for the requested equipment.

g)	Don't forget to ask for an anticipated delivery date, time, and a point of contact, if available.
Your County EM or EOC will follow-up with you, but you can check back if necessary. There
may not be a formal tracking number assigned to your resource request at the County level.

If your County EOC is not activated, the County EM coordinator should still be able to help
you. If you are unable to reach the coordinator, contact the State EOC at (803) 737-8500 for
24/7 assistance. The State EOC can coordinate your resource request with the County EM or

Utilize mutual aid and assistance agreements such as the South Carolina Water/Wastewater
Agency Response Network (www.scwarn.org) to request resources from other utilities.

Keep in Mind:

If the County cannot fulfill your resource request, they will look to neighboring counties.

If the neighboring counties cannot fulfill your resource request, your County will forward it to
the State EOC and will notify your regional Emergency Management Coordinator. All will try
to locate the resource within South Carolina.

If the State EOC cannot fulfill your resource request, they may use their Emergency
Management Assistance Compact (EMAC) coordinator to access resources in other states.
The State EOC may also contact the federal government for assistance through FEMA. This
can be a lengthy process (at least 3 days), so don't wait too long to ask for help.

Not all assistance will be free-of-charge. You may be responsible for some or all of the costs.
The best way to make sure you get what you need is to have pre-disaster contracts and mutual
aid and assistance agreements, such as SCWARN. If you wait until after the disaster to plan, it
may be too late.

July 2008

Who To



State EOC 24/7

SC Department of Health and Environmental Control

	You can call the following state 24/7
number for assistance:

888-481-0125 (24/7 emergency number)

	Your Environmental Quality Control (EQC)

Field Office can also be reached during
office hours at:

Aiken EQC Field Office: 803-641-7670
Columbia EQC Field Office: 803-896-0620
Greenwood EQC Field Office: 864-223-0333
Sumter EQC Field Office: 803-778-6548

EMD Area 3 Phone Numbers


Calhoun County

201 Mill Street
St. Matthews

803-874-2454 - After hours

Kershaw County

515 Walnut St.



803-425-7671 - After hours

Richland County

1410 Laurens St.



803-254-3062 - After hours

Fairfield County

350 Columbia Rd.



803-225-5511 - After hours

Lexington County

212 South Lake Dr.



803-518-1763 - After hours

Saluda County

111 Law Enforcement Dr.


864-445-2112 - After hours

Newberry County

520 Wilson Rd.



803-321-2222 - After hours

Phone numbers can change, so be sure to check contact information on a regular basis.

Mutual aid and assistance is available on a voluntary basis from other utilities through membership
in the South Carolina Water/Wastewater Agency Response Network (WARN) System. The SC
WARN website is available at www.scwarn.org.

Other organizations that can help you locate resources in the event of an emergency are:

	South Carolina Rural Water Association: 864-833-5566

	South Carolina American Water Works Association: 803-939-9574

	Water Environment Association of South Carolina: 803-939-9574 (same number as SC AWWA)

	Southeast Rural Community Assistance Project: 540-345-1184 - ext. 18

	South Carolina Rural Community Assistance Partnership: 803-731-0584

July 2008